MCh, Surgical Oncology
Dr. BRA – IRCH, AIIMS, New Delhi
Email : [email protected]
Mobile no. 9864169753
Date of birth: 25th November, 1985
MCh Surgical Oncology (January, 2017 – December, 2019)
Institute: Dr. BRA – IRCH, AIIMS, New Delhi
Thesis: A prospective observational study comparing CT scan vs PET CT scan in carcinoma ovary for determining the pre operative disease burden and resectibility
Chief guide: Dr. M. D. Ray, Additional Professor, Dept. of Surgical Oncology
MS General Surgery (2011 – 2014)
University: Srimanta Sankaradeva University of Health Sciences, Assam, India
Institute: Gauhati Medical College and Hospital, Guwahati, Assam, India
Thesis: Study of antibiotic prophylaxis in prevention of surgical site infections after operative interventions.
Guide: Prof. Dr. R. K. Deka, Professor, Dept. of Surgery
MBBS (2004 – 2009)
University: Gauhati University, Assam
Institute: Gauhati Medical College and Hospital, Assam, India
2010 – 2011: Medical Officer under NRHM in Mirza CHC in Kamrup(Rural) district, Assam,as a part of my compulsory one year rural posting(post MBBS)
July 2014 – July 2016: Worked as a resident surgeon in North East Cancer Hospital and Research Institute. During that period, I was well exposed to UGI endoscopy and colonoscopy and well trained in management of oncology patients, both in the OT and in management of postoperative patients. Assisted on all major oncological procedures and did some surface oncological surgeries unsupervised.
July 2016 – February 2017: Worked in dept of Surgical Oncology as a senior resident. Underwent some hands – on training on major oncological procedures.
February 2017 – December 2019: Completed MCh surgical Oncology from AIIMS, New Delhi
Academics, prizes won and conferences attended:
- Presented a paper on a case of small bowel volvulus in ASACON (Association of Surgeons of Assam Conference) 2013
- Presented a poster on a rare case of giant insuinoma in ASACON (Association of Surgeons of Assam Conference) 2014
- Successfully completed SPORT – Surgeons in Practice oncology Review and Training at Tata Medical Center, Kolkata, organised by ETHICON from 18 – 23rd August 2014
- Attended Advanced course in Head and Neck cancer at 6th head and neck update on 28th November 2014
- Participated in the CME cum surgical workshop on VATS esophageal surgery on carcinoma esophagus as a participant on 18th and 19th March 2016, held at B. Barooah Cancer Institute, Assam.
- Participated as a delegate in the 12th annual international live surgery workshop and Oncosurg 2016 conference, held in Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai.
- Attended ESSO-ISPSM Cadever Course & Workshop and International Conference on Peritoneal Surface Malignancies in New Delhi on 3rd & 4th March 2018 and presented a poster on “Patterns of recurrence in peritoneal carcinomatosis after Cytoreductive Surgery (CRS) and Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) from a tertiary care center experience“
- Participated in Lung cancer masterclass, held in 21st and 22nd July, 2018 in Mumbai and won the first prize in quiz
- Attended ABSICON 2018 held in AIIMS, New Delhi from 9 – 11 Nov and presented a poster tited “ Comparison of PET CT vs conventional staging investigation for locally advanced breast cancer (LABC); results of a prospective study” and won the best poster award
- Published a case report titled “Partial Splenectomy in a Case of Granulosa Cell Tumour (GCT) with Isolated Splenic Metastasis: A Case Report with Review of Literature” in Indian Journal of Gynaecologic oncology on March, 2019 issue. Cite as: Ray, M.D., Barua, A., Gowda, M. et al. Indian J Gynecol Oncolog (2019) 17: 12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40944-019-0256-7
- Presented 2 posters in ISPSM – AGOI conference held in TMC, Mumbai 19 – 21 April, 2019 on titles of “A comparative analysis of clinical outcomes after Interval and secondary cytoreductive Surgery (CRS) and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) in locally advanced ovarian cancers” and “ Patterns of recurrence in peritoneal carcinomatosis after CRS and HIPEC; AIIMS surgical oncology experience”. Won the best poster award for the former titled abstract.
- “Partial Splenectomy in a Case of Granulosa Cell Tumour (GCT) with Isolated Splenic Metastasis: A Case Report with Review of Literature” in Indian Journal of Gynaecologic oncology on March, 2019 issue. Cite as: Ray, M.D., Barua, A., Gowda, M. et al. Indian J Gynecol Oncolog (2019) 17: 12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40944-019-0256-7
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in locally advanced and recurrent ovarian carcinoma: surgical and oncological outcomes in the Indian public healthcare system Jyoutishman Saikia, Babul Bansal, SVS Deo, Navin Kumar, Raghuram Kuppusamy, Areendam Barua, and MD Ray. Future Oncology 2021 17:14, 1761-1776. https://doi.org/10.2217/fon-2020-0806
- Evaluation of Peritoneal Cancer Index as a Prognostic Marker in Primary Advanced Epithelial Ovarian Carcinoma Undergoing “Interval Cytoreductive Surgery” After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Babul Bansal, Mukurdipi Ray, Areendam Barua, Jyoutishman Saikia, and Suryanarayana Deo. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery 2021 37:4, 331-336. https://doi.org/10.1089/gyn.2020.0099
- Barua A, Ray MD. Role of MIS in Onco Surgery. Multidisciplinary Approach to Surgical Oncology Patients. 2021:257-73.
- Raja N, Deka R, Kumar P, Patil S, Barua A. “assessment of Outcome of Repair of Perforated Peptic Ulcer by Modification of Graham Patch-A Clinical Study”: pp3–127. Digestive Surgery. 2016 Aug 1;33:213.